March 29, 2020 UPDATE
In the weeks since we made the difficult decision to suspend in-person gatherings at Capital Church, concern regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has continued to grow, and local health authorities have extended recommendations for social distancing as a precaution against the spread of the virus.
Therefore, we have decided to extend the suspension of in-person services pending further guidance from state and local authorities and the federal Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Please keep checking back for updates in the weeks to come—we can’t wait for the time when we can gather again! If you’d prefer to be notified of updates by text message, please text the word “Updates” to 801-876-4525.
In the midst of uncertainty, we pray you can experience Christ’s presence as we continue to meet online Sundays at 10 a.m. Please join us for a time of worship and teaching, through our website, on our Facebook page, or our YouTube channel. On our website, you can also find a weekly parent’s guide to help disciple children each week.
We also encourage you to join one of our many Digital Discipleship Groups that meet during the week to share takeaways from the weekend message.
Gathered or scattered, we can continue to be the church. If you are in need, or if you know someone in need, let us know. We’ve developed a short form for you to indicate your support & supply needs, as well as let us know if you’re able to donate your own time, talent, or resources during this time of crisis. #capitalcares
We also ask that you continue to join us in prayer—for our community, our government leaders, our medical professionals and all of those impacted by this disease around the world. Pray, please, for God’s healing power and wisdom, and that we reflect Him in all that we say and do. If you have a specific prayer request, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We would be honored to come alongside you.
“In this world, you will have trouble,” Jesus promised us (John 16:33). “But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
Grace and peace
March 12, 2020 UPDATE
The concern regarding the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) has continued to grow, and given the recent guidance from the Governor we will not hold weekend services at Capital on March 14-15, March 21-22, or March 28-29.
Gathering together with you each weekend is such a joyful highlight of our week, and we feel sad about needing to cancel; however, to do our part in helping prevent the spread of this virus, and with a desire to protect the most vulnerable among our communities, we discerned this decision would be best for our community at this time.
As you know, our mission at Capital is to lead people to become Christ-centered disciples, and we are thrilled to be able to join you on the journey of faith in creative and joyful ways during this unique season. We will continue to post a new weekend message on our website, podcast, and social media accounts each weekend, and our staff is currently working together on increasing other virtual opportunities for discipleship. We will share more information about this as it is available.
In the meantime:
- We ask that you continue to join us in prayer. Please pray for our community, our government leaders, our medical professionals, and all of those impacted by this disease around the world. We are praying for God’s healing power and wisdom to be present in all that we say and do. For those who have specific prayer requests, please reach out to us at email@example.com. Our prayer team would be honored to come alongside you in this way.
- Journey together in Small Groups. If you are healthy and well, we encourage you—at your own discretion—to continue your discipleship in partnership with others through attending small groups. Where two or more people are gathered in his name, God promises to be among them. As you gather, please continue to be wise in using common sense precautions against the spread of germs.
- Please continue to worship through giving. We believe that investing our time, talent, and resources is an important aspect of our discipleship journey. And what a beautiful time to show the love and compassion of Jesus! In this season, we invite you to be radically generous with your love, with your time, and with your resources. Ask yourself how God might be encouraging you to love one another in this season. You can give financially to Capital’s ministries online at capitalchurch.com/give.
We are grateful that our God isn’t surprised by this pandemic, and that it is for a time just like this that God has equipped each of us to be examples of how to live with grace and peace in the midst of uncertainty. We know that our hope is in the Lord—not our health, finances, or ability to gather together in worship.
Information on this virus, and the recommended courses of action for places of worship are continually evolving. For additional information, please review the information from the Centers for Disease Control, and the Utah Department of Health. We will continue communicating with you about any relevant updates for our community as they are available.
March 6, 2020 UPDATE
Our mission at Capital is to lead people to become Christ-centered disciples, and we are blessed to journey alongside you in this mission.
There has been rising concern globally and nationally about the coronavirus (COVID-19). Like many local businesses, school districts, and places of worship in Utah, we are working closely with the Utah Department of Health about preparations that may be necessary if or when an outbreak occurs. We are taking precautions as a staff and putting plans in place should it be wise to cancel gatherings. Additionally, we are doing a deep-clean of the church building this week, and will be continue to disinfect surfaces around the building regularly. Above all, we are praying for the safety and health of our community, as we trust in the provision and protection of our Lord.
As you would during any cold & flu season, we ask that you take care to abide by a few basic precautionary measures in order to create an environment at Capital that is as safe and as healthy as possible:
- If you are not feeling well, please seek the care of a medical professional, and stay home from weekend services while you’re ill. If you have to miss a service in person, you can always catch the weekend message and give your tithes and offerings on our website midweek, and you can submit your prayer requests to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please execute smart hygiene practices including diligent hand-washing, covering coughs/sneezes, sanitizing surfaces, and avoiding touching your face. For more information on personal preparation, please leverage these recommendations from the Salt Lake County Department of Health.
- Please keep any child home who is symptomatic (fever, coughing, etc.). We will work diligently to keep the kid’s classrooms clean, and offer hand sanitizer and hand washing opportunities at the Kids Ministry check-in stations and throughout class time.
- Pray continually: for one another, for those already impacted by the virus, for the health and safety of our community, and in praise & thanksgiving as we trust in King Jesus.
As we gather this weekend to worship and learn together, we would ask that we live out our discipleship to Jesus with a heart aimed at getting love right in this season of uncertainty, for God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
For additional information on the virus, please review this handout from the Center for Disease Control. We will continue communicating with you about any relevant updates for our community as they are available.
Grace & Peace.